Courtesy of Worcester State Sports Information
WORCESTER, Mass. – The MCLA baseball team totaled 14 runs in two games to defeat the Lancers of Worcester State twice by scores of 7-1 in a Saturday afternoon Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) doubleheader.
April 21, 2018
Records: MCLA (11-10-1, 4-3-1 MASCAC) | Worcester State (10-19, 5-3)
GAME ONE: MCLA 7, Worcester State 1
The Trailblazers scored seven runs on nine hits from five players to earn a 7-1 victory over Worcester State in game one.
The Lancers made three fielding errors in the first inning, which led to one unearned run. The visitors tacked on two runs in the top of the second on an RBI double from Joe Toledo (Booklyn, N.Y.) and an RBI from Bill Pulasky (Lanesboro, Mass.). They added in two more in the top of the third on RBI from Joe DiMassimo (Dalton, Mass.) and Jeff Bink (Albany, N.Y.) to hold a 5-0 advantage.
MCLA added another run in the top of the fifth inning on an RBI single from DiMassimo.
The Lancers broke the nil score in the bottom of the fifth when Jake Breton (Wilbraham, Mass.) triple to right center to plate Ben Palatino (Hudson, Mass.) for what turned out to be the only Lancer run of the game.
The Trailblazers settled the score at 7-1 as they added in another run on a sacrifice bunt from Jake Ferrara (East Haven, Conn.).
· MCLA's DiMassimo batted 2-for-3 with one run scored and two RBI.
· Bink, Logan Rumbolt (North Adams, Mass.), and Toledo registered two hits each for the Trailblazers.
· Brendan Kelly (Averill Park, N.Y.) earned the win on the mound as he pitched 5 2/3 innings and allowed just one run on six hits. He struck out four batters at the plate.
· Worcester State's Matt Irzyk (Westfield, Mass.) suffered the loss in six innings pitched. Eric Vecsey (Worcester, Mass.) pitched one inning of relief and did not allow a Trailblazer hit and struck out one.
· Worcester State's seven hits were scattered amongst seven hitters.
GAME TWO: MCLA 7, Worcester State 1
The Trailblazers took game two from the Lancers, also by a score of 7-1, in the nightcap. The visitors scored seven runs on an 11-hit attack led by Bink, Rumbolt, and Ferrara.
After a scoreless three innings, MCLA put up three runs on four hits in the top of the fourth inning. Rumbolt sent the first run in, Ferrara sent the second in, and then Antonio Archinia (Colonie, N.Y.) sent the third in on a double to right center.
The Trailblazers amassed four unearned runs in the fifth inning to put the score at 7-0. Brett LaBonte (Wareham, Mass.) hit home the first run of the inning and then back-to-back doubles from Rumbolt and Ferrara sent in three additional runs.
Worcester State's Kevin Larkin (Rocky Hill, Conn.) put up the lone run for the Lancers in the bottom of the sixth inning on an RBI double.
· Bobby New (Pittsfield, Mass.) went the distance and earned his fourth win of the season. He allowed the Lancers one run on six hits and struck out four in the batter's box.
· Worcester Sate's opening pitcher, Josh Boucher (Auburn, Mass.) took the loss in 4 2/3 innings pitched. Issiac Christiansen (Franklin, Maine) and PJ Walsh (Bridgewater, Mass.) each saw an inning of relief.
· Rumbolt led the Trailblazers' offense going 2-for-3 with two runs scored and three RBI.
· Ferrara batted 2-for-4 with one run scored and three RBI as well.
· Worcester State's Colin Medeiros (Fall River, Mass.) accounted for two of six Lancer hits.
Both teams resume MASCAC action tomorrow (Apr. 22). The Lancers head to Salem State for a doubleheader starting at 1 p.m., while MCLA hosts Bridgewater State at the same time.