Courtesy of FSU Sports Information
Fitchburg, MA. – The Fitchburg State University men's basketball team raced past the Trailblazers of MCLA 94-73 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action on Wednesday evening.
Score: Fitchburg State University 94, MCLA 73
Records: Fitchburg State (10-12, 4-4 MASCAC) | MCLA (6-16, 2-8 MASCAC)
How It Happened
Fitchburg State opened the scoring with baskets from senior Anselm Edegbe (Benin, Nigeria) and juniorJordan Jones (Worcester, Mass.) and never trailed in the game. The Trailblazers cut the deficit to four (11-7) following a trey from junior Antoine Montgomery (Boston, Mass.).
Holding a 39-27 lead the Falcons finished out the first half with an 11-4 run highlighted by five points from Jones to take a 50-31 margin into intermission.
In the second half, the Falcons extended its lead (64-39) on 11 straight points from junior Charles Doss (Worcester, Mass.) while the visitors countered with five points from junior Mike Demartinis (Burlington, Mass.).
The hosts secured their fourth conference victory as junior Devin Harris (Danvers, Mass.) sank six baskets from the charity strip for the 94-73 final.
Inside the Numbers,
· For the Green and Gold, four players finished with double figures. Jones had a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds, while Doss poured in a team-high 17 points off the bench.
· MCLA was paced by Demartinis with a game-high 18 points, while junior Shamar Logins (Newark, NY) chipped in 12 points.
· Fitchburg State shot 38-for-69 (55.1%) from the field and (3-of-9) 33.3% from beyond the arc.
· MCLA went 22-for-62 (35.5%) overall and (10-of-31) 32.3% from three point range.
· The Falcons controlled the boards, holding a 53-29 margin on the glass.
Falcons will travel to Worcester State on Saturday afternoon to take on the Lancers in a crucial MASCAC bout starting at 1:00pm. MCLA will host the Vikings of Salem State next Wednesday at 5:30pm.