North Adams, MA- MCLA senior forward Oscar Castro was selected to the United Soccer Coaches Scholar All East Region team. The national coaches organization announced the honor late Thursday afternoon.
Castro previously was named to the All MASCAC team after his season for the Trailblazers. He is the only MASCAC player represented on the All East region team in 2017.
To be eligible for selection for the Scholar All Region team, the student athlete must be nominated by his or her Head Coach and meet the following criteria:
- Have at least a 3.30 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) throughout his or her career
- Start more than 50 percent of all games and be an elite player as supported by playing honors (i.e., all-conference) or contributions to the success of his/her team.
- Plays for a current United Soccer Coaches College Services member institution
- Be a junior or above in academic standing at the current institution
- Be in his or her second year at the current institution if a transfer student.
Castro appeared in all 16 games for the Trailblazers this past fall and was second on the team in shots with 29. He led the Trailblazers with 4 goals on the season. Castro netted a key goal in a MASCAC win over Mass. Maritime back in September. He added markers against Green Mountain, Western Connecticut, and Cobleskill.
Castro, from Long Island, NY., carries a 3.76 GPA as a Business major at MCLA. He has been an annual member of the MASCAC All Academic teams as well as a member of the Dean's List during his career at MCLA.
The senior is the first Trailblazer since 2013 to earn the high profile academic award. Drew Webster (2013) was the last MCLA player to earn the honor.
Castro is set to graduate in May.