Courtesy of Framingham SID Staff
Framingham, Mass – The Framingham State men's soccer team defeated MCLA by a score of 2-0 Saturday afternoon at Maple Street Field. With the win the Rams finished MASCAC play at 6-0-1 and secure a share of the MASCAC Regular Season Championship for the second consecutive season.
- Score: Framingham State 2, MCLA 0
- Records: Framingham State (9-8-2, 6-0-1 MASCAC), MCLA (3-14, 1-6 MASCAC)
- Location: Maple Street Field – Framingham, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams had a great opportunity about 25 minutes in when a Trailblazer handball in the box setup a penalty kick for the Rams. Nahuel Algibay's (Montevideo, Uraguay) penalty was saved by MCLA goalie Sam Edge (Williamstown, Mass.) and the rebound was chipped wide by a Rams attacker.
- Edge made another diving save about ten minutes later to keep the Rams off the board off a header after a corner kick.
- The Rams finally broke through in the 44th minute when Algibay sent a pass to Gustavo Cassemiro (Minas Gerais, Brazil) that he finished off for his team-best eighth goal of the season.
- The Trailblazers had a great chance to score early in the 2nd when Mateo Wirzburger (Amesbury, Mass.) sent in a long strike that was tipped out of harm's way by Rams keeper Corey Davidge (Blackstone, Mass.).
- The Rams got an insurance goal in the 59th minute when De Souza settled a pass from Ibrahim Kyeyune (Kampala, Uganda) and buried it into the back of the net.
- Davidge made seven stops in net for the Rams while his counterpart Edge made ten stops for the visitors.
- The Rams outshot the Trailblazers by a 27-to-9 margin in the contest including a 17-to-3 clip in the first half.
- Prior to the contest the Rams honored the four seniors playing in their final season: Davidge, Austin Botelho (Taunton, Mass.), Isaac De Souza (Sao Paulo, Brazil) & Bryant Nardizzi (Framingham, Mass.)
The Trailblazers see their season close at 3-14 while the Rams earn a first-round bye in the MASCAC Tournament and will host a semi-final game on Friday, November 8th.