Moore scores lone goal in 3-1 loss to Mass. Maritime
Courtesy of MMA Sports Information
BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – The Buccaneers welcomed in the MCLA Trailblazers for a MASCAC game at Clean Harbors Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Prior to the game the two seniors on the Maritime roster, Emma McNally (Mashpee, Mass) and Jessica Baldassini (Middleboro, Mass) were honored for their four years of service to the women's soccer team. Both teams entered the game in search of their first conference victory of the season with the winner moving one game out of the playoff picture with one game remaining on the schedule. At the end of 90 minutes the Buccaneers were victorious, 3-1.
Final: Buccaneers 3, Trailblazers 1
Records: Mass Maritime 4-12 (1-5 MASCAC)
MCLA 2-13-1 (0-6 MASCAC)
For The Bucs
· Both seniors McNally and Baldassini each scored on senior day. It was Baldassini's first goal of the season, McNally's second. Both McNally goals have come on penalty kicks.
· Sophomore Shannon Elwood (Kingston, Mass) also scored for the Bucs, her second in as many games.
· Goalkeeper Paige Albertson (Nantucket, Mass) faced four shots. She made three saves and allowed one goal.
For The Trailblazers
· Junior Cetera Moore (Ballston Spa, N.Y.) scored the only goal of the day for the Trailblazers on a free kick in the second half.
· Senior goalkeeper Megan Richardson (Adams, Mass) face nine shots, allowing the three Maritime goals and making six saves.
How It Happened
Maritime controlled the first half outshooting the MCLA 9-1 with eight shots on target to zero for the 'Blazers. The Buccaneers were on the positive end of a foul called inside the 18 yard box against MCLA giving them a penalty kick opportunity. Stepping up to take the kick was McNally who buried the shot in the bottom left to give her team a 1-0 lead in the 25th minute. 12 minute later the Bucs were on the attack again. After a shot by Ariel Damery (Plympton, Mass) was tipped by Richardson off the crossbar, the ball fell to the foot of Elwood. She proceeded to trickle the ball in to the net for the second Maritime goal in the 38th minute. It was Elwoods second goal in as many games. The teams headed to the halftime break at 2-0 in favor of Maritime.
In the second half, each team found the back of the net though it took nearly a half hour for it to happen. In the 77th minute, Baldassini scored after a loose ball near midfield landed at her feet which she took past a defender and in to the 18, beating the keeper one-on-one to extend the Buccaneer lead to 3-0. Less than 10 minutes later, Moore erased the Maritime shut out on Moore's goal on a free kick left of goal the slid in the goal, left of Albertson. With under four minutes remaining neither team scored again and the Bucs went on to win 3-1 on senior day, securing their first conference win of the season.