Courtesy of USJ Sports Information
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. - The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) tennis team took all six singles matches to come from behind and defeat the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (MCLA) Trailblazers, 7-2, on Tuesday afternoon at the Hall High School Tennis Courts in the Blue Jays' 2019 season opener. With the victory, the Blue Jays start the year 1-0 while the Trailblazers slip to 0-2. USJ will be right back in action next on Thursday versus UMass Dartrmouth beginning at 4:00 p.m.
The Blue Jays dropped two out of three doubles matches to fall behind early, 2-1. USJ's lone doubles victory did come in dominant fashion though at third doubles as senior Domonique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) and freshmanElke Moser Melis (Nijmegan, Netherlands) blanked MCLA's duo, 8-0. Then, the Blue Jays would settle into the match and pick up the pace in singles action taking all six matches with relative ease. Four Saint Joseph players wouldn't surrender a single game to the Trailblazers to help catapult the Blue Jays to victory, 7-2.
USJ 7 | MCLA 2
1. Jessica McAllister (USJ) def. Jessica Dupont (MCLA) 6-0, 6-0
2. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) def. Brianna Higgins (MCLA) 6-0, 6-4
3. Domonique Carnot (USJ) def. Mackenna Jordan (MCLA) 6-0, 6-4
4. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) def. McKenna Clark (MCLA) 6-0, 6-0
5. Emily Kerr (USJ) def. Alyssa Keegan (MCLA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Marie Emerson (USJ) def. Khyahjah Alexander (MCLA) 6-0, 6-0
1. Brianna Higgins/Mackenna Jordan (MCLA) def. Jessica McAllister/Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 8-5
2. Jessica Dupont/Alyssa Keegan (MCLA) def. Carolyn Callahan/Marie Emerson (USJ) 8-6
3. Domonique Carnot/Elke Moser Melis (USJ) def. McKenna Clark/Ashlee Bartels (MCLA) 8-0