Courtesy of Becker Sports Information
LEICESTER, Mass. – Trailblazers freshman Kelly Moczulski (New River, Ariz.) finished with a career-high 13 kills, helping the MCLA Trailblazers to a 3-0 (25-12, 25-9, 25-20) straight-sets win over the Becker Hawks on Saturday afternoon.
September 14, 2019
Score: MCLA Trailblazers 3 – Becker Hawks 0
Records: The Becker College Hawks 5-2 | The MCLA Trailblazers 5-3
FOR THE HAWKS
- Freshman Teddie Flynn (Amesbury, Mass.) had a team-high six kills and 12 digs for the Hawks.
- Junior Yesenia Aviles (Southbridge, Mass.) added five kills for Becker.
- Freshman Arianna Gordon (Brockton, Mass.) had four kills, hitting .250 from the floor.
FOR THE TRAILBLAZERS
- Moczulski hit .440 on the afternoon and added seven digs and two aces.
- Sophomore Madison Jayne (Sacramento, Calif.) filled the box score with nine kills, seven digs, and six aces.
- Sophomore Kelsey LaFreniere (Becket, Mass.) finished with seven kills on seven attempts, hitting a perfect 1.000 on the floor.
- As a team, the Trailblazers totaled 43 team kills, making just four errors, with an attack percentage of .453.
In the opening set, MCLA ran out quickly to a 10-3 lead. Moczulski contributed four points in the run with three kills and a service ace. MCLA stretched out their lead and won the last four points of the set en route to a 25-12 first set win.
In the second set, the Trailblazers battled to an 8-5 edge but applied full pressure from there on out, finishing the set on a 17-4 run, taking the second set, 25-9.
In the final set, Becker put up a strong fight, leading by as many as four halfway through the set. But an MCLA 7-0 scoring run erased the four-point Hawks advantage, as the Trailblazers took a 21-18 lead. MCLA sophomore Reagan Scattergood (Rhinebeck, N.Y.) finished off the match with a kill, as the third set went to MCLA 25-20.
The Hawks return to Leicester Gymnasium on Tuesday for a 7:00 p.m. match against Curry. The Trailblazers also return to action Tuesday with a road match at Westfield State set for 7:00 p.m.